Helping Seniors Stay Safe at Home
Niagara Gatekeepers is a phone line referral service that anyone can call to help connect an at-risk senior who is 55 years of age or older with programs and services to help them stay safe and independent at home.
Call 905-684-0968 if you know of a senior who may need the help of an agency. The Gatekeeper line is open 8:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m., 365 days a year.
Information provided will be forwarded to one of our partner agencies. The agency will contact the senior and arrange services to help the senior maintain independence and stay safe at home. Services are only provided with the consent of the senior.
All information is kept confidential and callers may remain anonymous.
Signs of an At-Risk Senior
A senior who meets any of the below criteria may need assistance and benefit from a referral to Niagara Gatekeepers:
- Limited or no support from family or friends
- Disclosed feeling alone or secluded
- Difficulty accessing essential supplies such as food, medication, personal hygiene products, housekeeping and pet supplies
- Difficulty arranging transportation to essential medical appointments
- Challenges obtaining income support (such as Canada Pension Plan, Guaranteed Income Supplement and Old Age Security
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network Home and Community Care
- Alzheimer Society of Niagara
- Niagara Region Seniors Community Programs
- Niagara Region Mental Health Program
Niagara Gatekeepers operates with funding from the Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network.